Friday, May 4, 2012

I wish...

... that more books with romance would involve decent dudes instead of this whole alpha-male, I'm-gonna-harass-and-intimidate-you-because-I-love-you thing.

I just finished reading a book by a romance author in which the female protagonist was recovering from a prolonged sexual assault, and the love interest kept harassing her because he thought she was "a survivor." Another book by the same author had a female character who couldn't deal with being touched without reacting badly, so the male love interest tried some exposure therapy crap wherein he kept touching her to get her used to it.

I don't find this hot, and it really upsets me when I encounter it. 

Which isn't to say that the alpha-male trope is a totally lost cause -- sometimes it's fine, as long as the heroine can stand up for herself. But sometimes it gets really icky and rapey and blerrrgh.

Idk. YMMV, of course, but it's definitely not for me. I was reading a thread recently on books that didn't have a typical "alpha male" character, and there really didn't seem to be many out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment